41 Week Update


1 week old in corrected age
Latest weight 3790 grams = 8 Pounds 5 Ounces

Over the course of the last week we have seen Isaac reach new milestones. He is gradually picking up his suck feeds and is enjoying more and more bottles.
Isaac's monitors are slowly decreasing and he has now graduated to using an Aponea monitor (which he will eventually go home with). We have also started to connect him up to the portable oxygen tanks and we have been taking the lil guy out for a stroll (around the unit) in a pram. This may not seem like a big deal to normal parents but for us to be away from his nurse, away from his strict monitoring and to take him out of his room is a huge milestone. It Normalises parenting for us a little, it might make mummy very anxious to begin with but it gets Isaac used to being mobile and moved around a little. These types of activities can be overwhelming for him and can make him very tired but with the help of the developmental care team we are able to strategise ways to make these activities with Isaac useful, productive and enjoyable for him. Isaac has also been allowed to sit up during his awake periods in a bounceanette which gradually over time I am sure he will grow to love.

We are still not quite yet on the home stretch but We are getting close...we still have to achieve full feeds without the Nasal Tube. At the moment our lil guy is having bottle feeds, but not every feed consecutively through the bottle as he gets quite tired which means he needs a rest between and usually every second feed is through his tube.. At the moment he is on a lactose free formula. He has a Secondary Lactose Intollerance as a result of his viral infection that accompanied his bacerial infection at the begginning of August. His stomach lining as a result of the virus has made it difficult for him to break down the lactose in the breastmilk and it was decided to give his stomach a break and give it time to heal. He is on the formula for 2 weeks (1 week down) and after the second week we will slowly start to re-introduce the breastmilk again. Once we get back to the breastmilk and start introducing breastfeeding with bottle feeding we will be on the right track towards home. Fingers crossed the lactose intollerance is only secondary and we can get him back on the breastmilk...the liquid gold stuff full of antibodies! :-)


9 comments:

  1. How precious! I am glad to see less wires and tubes. Keep fighting little man! Hugs to you and Cain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks amazing Deb, all sounds great... the prayers are still coming your way... I love the AC/DC little outfit! One day in the not to distant future your house will be filled with the noise of AC/DC and your little man will be head banging with his Dad! Happy Father's Day Cain, hope you enjoy celebrating with your little miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb thats such a fantastic post. Sounds like huge progress with decreasing the monitors and starting pram rides. When is our coffee date with Isaac?
    Chat soon and keep up the amazing parenting you and Caine are doing. Happy fathers day Caine.
    Sal xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ACDC onesie is priceless...James has a Pink Floyd one! :) Our hubbies have good taste in music I guess! I'm so excited that Isaac has made it to full term...it's crazy to think that he was supposed to be in your belly all of this time, it's TRULY a miracle and this boy is a fighter beyond words!! Much love to you all and continuted strength and growth to baby Isaac!

    --chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you guys that Isaac is doing so well! Lovely to see Isaac in a pram. And he grows loads with every picture I see! Love the ACDC outfit!
    Keep going this strong Isaac. With little steps, slowly and surely forward!

    love

    Ghislaine
    Abbyloopers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord, He is gorgeous! Love seeing him getting bigger and stronger. He will be in my prayers that this continues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear that little man gets more and more adorable each week!!!! I love him in the cute outfits! He is so stylish =)

    Glad to hear he is making progress!!

    Pippy

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH Deb he is so handsome and getting so big! I remember pushing Abbey around the hospital in a Pram like that. She always seemed to quite enjoy her rides! I know I enjoyed the freedom of feeling like she was just mine for the short bit it lasted! Hugs and lots of love

    Danah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb I haven't been logging in to IC forum or Iampregnant so I didn't know what happened. Just want to say I am so glad things turned out fine. What an adorable little guy! God bless! I am truly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete